Friday, September 6, 2013

Journal of a Russian Imperial Guard soldier #17

ГА РФ, ф. 640 оп. 3 д. 25 л. 72 фото 1070

Ipatiev House, 26 June 1918

The guards are gradually being replaced by Cheka agents. One of them fired a shot without warning at Anastasia when she kept peeking out of a fortochka. They scrawled obscene graffiti on the walls of the bathroom and lavatory. Tatiana and Dr Botkin appealed to the commandant to restrain his men, but they only fell on deaf ears. Olga, repulsed by their behaviour, avoids them entirely.

I overheard Alexandra chastising Marie for fraternizing with a guard. A commissar warned us of severe consequences if we speak with any of the guards again. Olga was perhaps the most unforgiving. She has not spoken to her sister since that morning. For the rest of the day, Marie stayed very close to me like an inseparable twin. She must have felt rejected by her mother and sister. I resumed my daily routine trying to ignore what happened. I later asked Marie if she was okay and she simply nodded.

Marie entered my room in the evening, asking if I could share my bed with her. She did not feel like sleeping with her sisters after falling out with Olga. I didn't pry about her association with the guard as she was still looking distressed. The bed is narrow, barely enough for the two of us. I told her that she could have it while I sleep on the floor, but she insisted on sharing. We were facing each other in bed. I could tell that she was still awake. A lot must have been going through her mind.

I almost forgot that it was her birthday. I could not find the right moment to say it to her until she was in my room. Marie opened her large blue eyes when I held her hand and whispered happy birthday to her. Without saying a word, she softly kissed me on the cheek and snuggled into my arms. She was so warm and I could feel her bosom heaving against me. It was breathtaking. I was glad to be of some comfort to her. Whatever God may be, I thank God for these few pleasant hours with Marie. Hopefully what happened earlier will soon pass with time.

No comments: