Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rekindled interest in the Romanov family

When I come to think of it, I've to admit, I don't really know so much about them.

By the time I was born, the Romanovs had been dead for almost 70 years. I first knew about Anastasia in 1997, when I saw the fictional animated film. I quickly moved on as the movie led me to believe she lived happily ever after. It was only in 2009, when I happened to be reading about World War I (after watching Joyeux Noël during Christmas), that I gained a clearer understanding of what happened.

But it was in late January 2013 when I rekindled my interest in the Romanovs. While listening to that famous disco song of Rasputin, I decided to google him on Wikipedia, then clicked Alexei and then finally Maria's biography article. Only then did I absolutely know for certain that Anastasia had been murdered. From that day onwards, I never stopped thinking of them.

No comments: