Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Saving the Romanov family #10

ГА РФ, ф. 601 оп. 1 д. 1670 л. 15 об.


Ekaterinburg, 24 July 1918

Word reached us that another group of Bolsheviks was planning to attack the Ipatiev House. They were led by Pyotr Ermakov, another regicide. Aragorn and I found them in a saloon, all drunk, so we overcame them with ease. I wasted no time with Ermakov, slashing his throat and leaving him to die while we killed the others. He and his gang will not harm another soul again. We took their ammo and one of their horses. I named it Cisco.

The pain in Alexei's leg is subsiding. He still cannot walk but the clotting factor is working splendidly. Alexandra was in tears. It's a miracle she feared she wouldn't witness again. The downside of helping Alexei is that we've become more of a mystery to the captives. The questions keep coming. At least the boy will be ready for the long journey ahead. I've instructed the captives to begin packing their bags because we'll be leaving tomorrow after the Czechoslovak Legion arrives.

We gathered the captives in the living room to discuss our destination. Regrettably, we told them that going to the Crimea would be suicide because we'd have to fight our way through many miles of hostile terrain to get there, and even then the island is under German control. Murmansk is under Allied control but it's also behind enemy lines. The best option is probably Vladivostok. It's the farthest, but with the Red Army retreating from the east, our journey would be a breeze compared to the Crimea or Murmansk. We gave the captives until tomorrow to make their decision. One thing's for sure is they cannot stay in Ekaterinburg.

Today I asked Olga if she needed anything. I was a bit surprised when she asked for a gun. She used to have a Browning pistol which she concealed after the revolution in case the guards tried to harm her family. It was confiscated while they were imprisoned in Tobolsk. I gave her my M1911 pistol since I already use a tomahawk for close combat. To show her how to use it we had to go somewhere else. Once all the captives were asleep, I took Olga with me on Cisco to the Koptyaki forest under the cover of darkness.

We visited the mine that was meant to be used by Yurovsky to strip, mutilate and dispose of the bodies. Looking into the mineshaft gave me chills even though we prevented the murders. Still, I wanted to see it for myself. I didn't tell Olga what would've happened here had we not rescued her family, but she could tell something was bothering me. We stayed awhile after I taught her a few gun safety tips. She appreciates the advice, but ultimately chose not to keep the pistol as she's not confident of using it.

While we were sitting near a tree, Olga spoke of her anger at the bogus officer letters, how she was so naive as to believe they were authentic. For a while she remained hopeful that there were still people loyal to her father. The revolution and civil war we find ourselves in has shaken her patriotic resolve. We rode back to the Ipatiev House when we heard heavy gunfire from a distance, a sign the Czechoslovaks are in the city. Whoever we are, Olga thanks God we're here.

No comments: