Saturday, May 2, 2020

Saving the Romanov family #6


Ekaterinburg, 20 July 1918

Another day of chores. Moved the grand piano back to the dining room and returned the phonograph and its records to the Romanov family. All the electric bells linked to the guard posts have been taken down. I'm undoing almost everything Yurovsky did to isolate and torment the Ipatiev House captives. One downside is that the Romanovs need more water for their copious baths. The addition of the Alapaevsk captives and the imperial entourage at the Ipatiev House meant we have to make regular trips to the city pond each day to collect water.

On the bright side, the next time Grand Duchess Tatiana came to me with a request, I asked her to accompany me to the pond. We brought along a water barrel cart. Chief could easily perform this task, but just this once I hope to use this opportunity to know a little more about Tatiana. It has bothered me that no matter how many times she approached me for something, she's still a mystery to me. She's good at hiding her emotions. A beautiful enigma. What's the key to her?

Tatiana was pretty quiet on our way to the pond. While we were filling the barrel with water, she asked why we wear masks. Only the upper half of our faces are visible. She admits our appearance frightened her a bit when she first saw us. The masks hide our identities and protect the people closest to us. In secret, the masks prevent us from inadvertently spreading modern bacteria to the Romanovs. Their immune systems would struggle against microorganisms that has evolved over a century. I also want them to judge us by our actions, not our looks.

On our way back to the Ipatiev House, Tatiana thanked me for taking her out for a walk and is grateful for letting her family go out for prayers. She's especially appreciative that I've been very accommodating. Neither Yurovsky nor his predecessors were as kind-hearted, but for her family's sake she never stopped trying. Whatever she needed, I would do as she wished. It gives me pleasure to serve the Romanov family.

Tatiana gave me a tour of OTMA's bedroom while her family was in the garden. The walls were decorated with religious objects. No doubt the Romanovs are devoted Orthodox Christians. Tatiana's sisters entered the room while we were sweeping the floor. Maria and Anastasia greeted me, though Olga did not. She just sat on a chair with her head down, clearly despondent. It's the same when she's in the garden. This was the Bolsheviks' doing. I swear, if Yurovsky had harmed her in any way, I will not hesitate to kill him if I see him again.

No comments: