Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Journal of a Russian Imperial Guard soldier #1

Romanov photograph album 2, p. 46

Alexander Palace, January 1910

Upon graduation from military academy, I was sent to the Alexander Palace in Tsarskoe Selo, the residence of Tsar Nicholas II and his family. On arrival I reported to my unit and registered with the clerk, who assigned me a bunk and issued me a service rifle and bayonet. I will be issued a handgun when I become an officer. A senior guardsman gave me a tour of the palace's surrounding areas. There were sentry posts and patrol routes I had to familiarize myself with.

Within a week I was out prowling on my own. I was initially content with my posting, but that changed dramatically when I noticed a little girl following me during a patrol in the Alexander Park. She kept her distance from me, picking up the pace whenever she fell too far behind. She vanished when I neared the guardhouse. When I enquired with my colleagues, they told me she's the Grand Duchess Anastasia who is just curious to see a new face and that I can ignore her. They were giggling behind my back as I left the guardhouse, which left me puzzled.

The next day there were two grand duchesses following me. They were wearing identical dresses and were whispering to each other. Suddenly my head was hit by a hard object from behind. I turned to see the grand duchesses looking nervously at me. The taller one apologized while Anastasia hid behind her in fear of reprisal. I continued on my way, unsure of how to respond. My colleagues laughed when I returned to the guardhouse and told them what happened.

It didn't take me long to realize that Anastasia often plays pranks on the palace staff and, to a lesser extent, the guards. Maria, the taller one, is helpless and always ends up apologizing for her sister's misbehaviour. Our commandant is not bothered by Anastasia as he believes her pranks serve to remind us to remain vigilant. The hard object Anastasia threw at me was a tiny pebble, which really hurt. Her aim was very precise. Still, my thoughts kept coming back to Maria. She was a magnificent looking girl.

No comments: