Thursday, August 29, 2013

Journal of a Russian Imperial Guard soldier #11

 Альбом Николая II, 1913-1916 гг, 1536-0017 (Илья Григорьев | Flickr)

Alexander Palace, 28 February 1917

Have made first contact with the revolutionaries. A large mob attempted to storm the palace gates, but they dispersed when we fired warning shots into the air. I fear we will not be able to repel them again should they return with weapons. The Empress Alexandra was advised to evacuate her children to the safety of an imperial residence in Gatchina, but she has been reluctant as she is anxiously awaiting news from the tsar who is at Stavka.

Olga was startled by the gunshots. She is with Tatiana and Alexei in the sickroom. They contracted measles a week ago. I assured them that the palace is safe. However, I am speaking in half-truths. Ever since the revolution broke out, many of the palace guards have either deserted or failed to report for duty, leaving us desperately understaffed. But I cannot bring myself to tell her that. I am sure that Olga knows that I am holding back, but to her credit, she says nothing.

The sound of distant gunfire continued to echo through the frigid night. We were assembled in the courtyard, preparing for another confrontation. With rioting on the streets, many of the palace staff were compelled to return home to their families. I like to think that some of my colleagues are absent for the same reason, though the gunfire speaks to the contrary. Nurses from the hospital and friends of the imperial family are gradually arriving to offer their help.

In spite of the danger, Alexandra and Marie came out to see us, expressing their gratitude to each soldier for their continuing loyalty to the imperial family. The empress hopes that our presence alone will be enough to deter the rebels, avoiding any needless bloodshed. Marie looked very sick and pale as she slowly made her way down the line of guards with her mother. I advised her to go back inside the palace when she approached me, but she fell to her knees and begged me to stay. Marie was trembling. I wrapped my overcoat around her and accompanied her indoors. I have known the Romanovs for almost seven years and I am not about to abandon them now, especially in their time of need.

No comments: