Thursday, August 15, 2013

Journal of a Russian Imperial Guard soldier #3


Alexander Palace, 1910

The tsar's children were having a photo shoot. I tried to distract Anastasia by making silly faces from behind a doorway. Was hoping to get back at her for pranking me last time. Instead I attracted Maria's attention. She lost her concentration just as the photographer took their picture, and came running after me when the session ended. I did not attempt to flee from her. While I was explaining myself, Maria was hitting me with her fists. The Empress Alexandra hung the photograph on a wall in one of the palace rooms. Maria is embarrassed whenever she sees it.

There was a kitten stuck on top of a tree not far from the palace. I climbed up to retrieve it, and while I was making my way down I saw the Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana waiting below. The kitten belongs to them and they were looking for it after it snuck out of the palace. I was a bit nervous speaking to them because they looked very mature for their age. They heard about me from their younger sisters. When they took their kitten and walked in the direction of the palace, I overheard Tatiana whispering to Olga that I was very cute. I could die now.

The Tsarevich Alexei has a habit of walking past the guardhouse often, and we have to stand at attention whenever he appears. Fortunately, on the tsar's orders, we don't have to salute the tsarevich unless another member of the imperial family is with him. Anastasia knows of this however, and often accompanies her brother. It pleases me to see her around though.

No comments: